St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner. If boiled cabbage and corned beef don’t sound like a very appetizing way to celebrate, then perhaps this delicious comfort-food recipe will be more up your alley (over your rainbow?). Seasoned lamb and fluffy mashed potatoes can warm anyone’s tummy, and centuries ago when it was invented, Shepherd’s Pie did just that for farmers and sheepherders in the United Kingdom. Now regarded as a national dish, this fragrant and filling meal is sure to keep you feeling cozy.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat until heat waves rise. Add the ground lamb, season with salt and pepper, and fry for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the onion, carrots, peas, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Stir and cook until the veggies are softened and the meat is browned, about 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Stirring constantly, cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the liquid evaporates.
- Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes or until the stock has evaporated.
- At the same time, cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain, then return to the hot pot over low heat.
- When they have dried out a bit more, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add the salt, butter, egg yolks, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese. Fold until well combined.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a large baking dish. Cover the lamb by spooning the golden mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake until the potatoes are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Recipe provided by Tasty.
Posted from Vibrant Living Newsletter - https://www.vibrantlivingnewsletter.com/single-post/2019/02/11/Shepherds-Pie
This article is for information purposes only and is not an advertisement to extend customer credit as defined by Section 12 CFR 1026.2 Regulation Z. Program rates, terms and conditions are subject to change at any time.
Cason Home Loans | Equal Housing Lender | NMLS# 162651