What to Do When Disaster Strikes
WHAT A DISASTER!
United States Billion-Dollar Disaster Event Cost (CPI-Adjusted)
Scientists are saying that this is the new normal, and we’re likely to see worsening storms, droughts, and floods in the coming years.
1 NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) U.S. Billion-Dollar Weather and Climate Disasters (2018).
Preparation is key. Pack a bag with:
• Bottled water.
• Canned food.
• Other essentials such as meds, diapers, pet food.
• You should have “replacement cost coverage.”
• Find out if you have separate flood, earthquake, or other natural disaster coverage.
• Assess where you live and the likelihood of a disaster striking your area.
• Discuss coverage with your mortgage lender, real estate agent, and neighbors.
• Keep this separate from your normal savings.
• Experts suggest you should have six months’ worth of pay on hand.
1. Create a survival kit. This should include bottled water, non-perishable food items, blankets, matches, a flashlight with batteries, a first-aid kit, cash, your daily medications, and important documents such as health and home insurance paperwork.
2. If you are permitted to stay in your home, find a safe place, usually a ground-floor or interior room.
3. If you do not have a survival kit or you do not feel safe in your home, go to the nearest shelter.
4. If you’re ordered to evacuate the area, GO! If you stay put during an evacuation, critical resources could be diverted
Once you’ve been cleared to return back to your home or the immediate danger is gone, there are a few things you should do right away to help you get back on your feet quickly and more easily.
• Document damage to your property and secure it from looters and squatters.
• Contact your mortgage servicer and ask about disaster assistance.
• Contact your insurance company to report damage to your home, vehicles, and any other insured items.
• If your property is in a declared federal disaster area, contact these organizations for help. Don’t wait for your insurance company to respond first!
Posted from Vibrant Living Newsletter - https://www.vibrantlivingnewsletter.com/single-post/2018/08/11/What-to-Do-When-Disaster-Strikes
This article is for information purposes only and is not an advertisement to extend customer credit as defined by Section 12 CFR 1026.2 Regulation Z. Program rates, terms and conditions are subject to change at any time.
Cason Home Loans | Equal Housing Lender | NMLS# 162651