A conventional loan is a mortgage loan, which is not insured or guaranteed by any agency of the state or federal government. These fixed rate loans are available in 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 year terms. These loans often provide quicker loan approvals than with FHA or VA.
Great Option For:
- No Interest Rate Increases
- Faster Processing, Less Documentation
- Loan Amount – The loan amount for a conforming mortgage is generally limited to $548,250 in 2021 for a single-family home, though limits may be higher in regions where home prices are higher.
- Down Payment – Most conventional loans will require at least 5 percent (and optimally 10-20 percent or more) as a down payment.
- Credit History – Conventional loans are available for borrowers with a FICO score of 620 or higher. There are also established guidelines for income and other personal financial information.